Karim Benzema had a great opportunity against Sporting to reclaim some love from the Santiago Bernabéu. But the French forward did not take advantage of this and listened as some frustrated fans whistled and booed during the game.
Mixed views from manager and supporters
Madrid's number nine has been praised recently by his manager, Zinedine Zidane, who stated that when fit his frontline of Bale, Benzema and Cristiano is not in question, but there have been various polls held that suggest supporters of the club have a different view.
Against Sporting, who arrived in the capital fighting to get out of the relegation zone, it was Los Blancos' number seven who played a starring role netting two goals - a penalty and diving header - and Benzema was not directly involved in either.
Improvement needed quickly
As the rain lashed down on the special edition shirt he was wearing the burden of the disappearing patience from the crowd must have weighed heavily. The striker has four goals to his name along with one assist in 10 games in LaLiga.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Mourinho got a "special" message from Ed Woodward after landing Spurs job
- REAL MADRID Marcelo on Rodrygo, Vinicius and anxiety before Liverpool game
- PREMIER LEAGUE Pochettino's goodbye to Spurs player etched on blackboard
- REAL MADRID Eden Hazard: "At one point this summer I weighed 80 kilos"
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid fans angry over Bale's "childish" antics - Calderon
- Premier League Mourinho's call for 'respect' as he sends warning to Klopp and Pep