10 months later
Atlético de Madrid have finally brought one of the most negatives run of the Simeone era to an end. It was precisely the team's threat from corner set-pieces which helped the Rojiblancos lift the league in 2014, but it has been almost 10 months since the team has found the target from a corner.
Before Godín's strike in El Sadar this afternoon, the last Atleti player to score from one of their famous 'penalty-corners' was Saúl against Eibar at the Calderón back on 6 February. In the season in which Atlético won the league, 18 of the 73 goals the team scored were headers.
Something in the air
Godín's 14 most recent goals have all been headers; his last goal scored with a shot was against Valladolid in September 2012.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Potential Madrid presidential election could influence summer signings
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey: Messi striving to save Barça's season as chaos reigns
- NBA NBA round-up: LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers
- FOOTBALL Ibrahimovic makes Sanremo festival debut: "I have been the best on this stage"
- LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers, Beal sets Wizards record
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | When it is coming & IRS tax return | Live