Lopetegui take note: Iker Casillas is in the best form of his career
Porto goalkepper Iker Casillas, who's been dropped from the Spain squad by Julen Lopetegui, is letting in fewer goals in the Primeira Liga than at any other stage in his 17-year career.
Follow Porto vs Juventus match coverage | Champions League
As far as statistics are concerned, Iker Casillas is in the best form of his 17-year career as a professional.
The Porto goalkeeper, who’s been left out of the Spain squad since Julen Lopetegui became coach in the summer, is certainly giving the national manager some food for thought with his performances in the Portuguese league this season.
0.5 goals conceded per game
While the Primeira Liga may not exactly be on par with LaLiga in terms of quality, the former Real Madrid goalie’s numbers are impressive all the same. In 18 games this campaign, Casillas has only conceded nine goals (an average of 0.5 goals per game) and kept nine clean sheets.
A rate last seen in 2013-14 as Madrid's number two
To see an Iker Casillas with such good figures you would have to go back to the 2013-14. However, that season the keeper was Real Madrid’s number two behind Diego López in LaLiga, finishing the year having let in 12 goals in 24 games in all competitions.
During his first season at Porto, Casillas – who’s won 167 caps for Spain – also ended up with decent stats, conceding 39 in 40 matches (a rate of 0.87 goals per game).
The 35 year-old’s fine form at the moment comes despite Porto not performing so well: they are third in the league, six points behind leaders Benfica.
Te recomendamos en English
- NETFLIX What's coming to Netflix in December 2020 and what's leaving: movies, tv series...
- BOXING When was the Mike Tyson last fight and what was the result?
- Coronavirus When is the coronavirus vaccine arriving in the US according to Trump?
- GAMING Where to buy the Xbox Series X|S on Black Friday: restock times & deals at GameStop, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- BOXING Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr: dates, fight card, PPV price, TV and how to watch online
- Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid Carvajal hands Zidane a fresh problem for Atletico derby