Robert Fernández, Barcelona’s sporting director, is looking to find a reinforcement in the January transfer market at right back and although the Camp Nou coffers are bare there is a place to be filled in the first team squad and the club are scouring the market for a free acquisition.
Srna Barça's priority target
Fernández’s eye has alighted on veteran Croatia defender Darijo Srna, and the club will attempt to sign the 34-year-old next month. The right back position has been in the minds of Fernández and Luis Enrique since the summer, with both of the opinion that Sergi Roberto needs some cover and Aleix Vidal is not the player to provide it.
Alves injury ends Lichtsteiner interest
The Barça board are eager to lean on Srna’s considerable experience. Srna has been at Shakhtar Donetsk since 2008-09 and is the club captain but it is known at the Ukrainian side that he is keen on a move given the turbulence in the country. Srna is now the main target for Barcelona, who had also considered a move for Juve’s Stephan Lichtsteiner, although Dani Alves’ broken leg has ended any possibility of the Old Lady letting the Swiss international leave.
Barça hope to tie up a deal for Srna in the next few weeks. Ideally, the club would like to move Vidal on as well but the player’s inactivity since he signed from Sevilla in the summer of 2015 has slashed his market value to the extent that Barça are unlikely to be able to attract any kind of fee for a player who cost them 18 million euros.
- Roque Mesa877Passes
*Update 30 de noviembre de 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"