Mariano, the fastest ever for Real Madrid
Mariano Díaz has gone into the Real Madrid record books. The Spanish-Dominican striker scored the fastest goal ever by a Real Madrid player in the Spanish Copa del Rey, in Zidane's side's 6-1 win over Cultural Leonesa in the Bernabéu on Wednesday night.
Mistake from Cultural Leonesa
The Academy player, starting for the first time for the Real Madrid first team, opened the scoring after just 23 seconds, after a mistake from the Cultural defence as they brought the ball out. Asensio saw Mariano's run, and he simply had to pick his spot, and watch the net bulge as he went into the record books.
This was also the fastest goal from Real Madrid in all competitions in the last six years. Karim Benzema notched in just 22 seconds against Barcelona in 2011.
Mariano claimed a hat-trick
But Mariano wasn't done with his lightning fast early strike. He'd bagged a brace by the end of the first half, and rounded off his hat-trick in the second 45. And that puts him alongside no less of a name than Raúl, the last Academy player to score three goals in the same Copa del Rey match, in his case against Real Unión in 2008.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA Gymnastics Women's Team Finals: participants, format, scoring
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Simone Biles’ family life: who are her parents and boyfriend?
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What is Simone Biles' net worth?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?