If Luis Enrique wants some clues to the Real Madrid side that he's going to be up against on Saturday afternoon, then hopefully he had an eye on Zinedine Zidane's selection for the Copa del Rey match. Against Cultural Leonesa, where the final outcome was assured, the French coach seemed to be clear about protecting the core of his side for el Clásico.
Keeping them fresh
Left out on Wednesday were Keylor, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Kovacic, Lucas Vázquez, Benzema and Cristiano. Expect them all to start against Barcelona. Expected to fill the other three places in the XI at the Camp Nou are Carvajal, Varane and Isco. The two defenders were substituted for each other at half-time and the more recently impressive creative midfielder was also limited to 45 minutes of play, leaving the field at the interval with the Spanish right back.
One of the main questions, however, will be the sharpness of Brazilian, Casemiro. The admired midfielder played 90 minutes in the cup as he looks to get back to his best following a long lay-off. If he can convince Zidane of this then he may take the place of Kovacic, but possibly the big game
Young guns thrown in
Although some of the youth players did well against Cultural - including hat-trick hero Mariano and Zidane junior getting on the scoresheet - it is unlikely that Zidane will take any chances with his side. He knows that a victory, or even a draw, in the first Clásico of the season could put another dent in the Barça title challenge.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Vinicius misses training over Covid-19 test doubts
- David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain
- REAL MADRID-ALAVÉS Zidane: "Hazard hasn't suffered a relapse, he'll be ready tomorrow"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League quarter final draw Live: how and where to watch
- CORONAVIRUS How to get stimulus check without filing taxes?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how long could voting be delayed?