Karim Benzema has brushed off criticism over his form this season and said that Real Madrid’s six-point gap over Barcelona going into El Clásico “changes nothing”.
The French forward has come under fire during this campaign for his lack of effectiveness in front of goal, leading to calls for Álvaro Morata to take his place in the team until the young Spaniard became injured last month.
However, while Benzema has suggested such detractors remind themselves of his goalscoring record at the club, he also admits that he must take criticism as part and parcel of the job.
"Criticism is part of the job"
“There are statistics that speak for themselves,” said Benzema when asked about the stick he has received over the past few months. “They can criticise me, that forms part of my job, my life, and I know that as I am playing at a team that is Real Madrid.
“I’ve always dreamed of playing here, to win titles. I’ll keep developing, keep working and helping my team. That’s what interests me more than the critics, which I’m always going to have,” he added.
Six-point gap "changes nothing"
Benzema, who’s set to start El Clásico at Camp Nou on Saturday, hailed the match as “special” and said the occasion always “stops the world of football and gets everyone talking”.
The 29-year old also stressed that the buffer that Real Madrid have over rivals Barça at the top of LaLiga doesn’t take away any pressure. “We have [pressure on us] too. In every game there’s a lot of pressure.
“It’s a very difficult game against a great team, so we know what to expect. Arriving there as leaders changes nothing.”
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: McConnell confirms there will be checks for low-income Americans
- Premier League Lloris explains bust-up with Spurs team-mate Son
- Football Man Utd and Man City battling for Koulibaly and Skriniar
- Coronavirus FC Dallas out of MLS is Back Tournament due to Covid-19 cases
- BARCELONA Bartomeu confident of ninth Messi Barcelona renewal
- Qatar 2022 Aspire's online program aimed at promoting a healthy lifestyle