A comeback win on April 2nd last season for Real Madrid in El Clásico at the Camp Nou was key to Real Madrid's Champions League success, according to Kiko Casilla.
Pique scored the opening goal after 15 minutes of the second half of that game before Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo goals gave Zinedine Zidane's side a lead they would not reliniquish. Despite finishing second in the league to Barcelona, just a few weeks later they would capture their 11th Champions League title in a penalty shootout win against Atletico Madrid.
Fighting until the end
"The win at the Camp Nou last year was key. We gained so much confidence from that result. The group needed that victory. That goal by Pique put us behind Barcelona by 12 but we finished the game just six behind them. That was important because after that we fought in La Liga until the very end, which helped us in the Champions League final."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem