Simeone: "The objective is third place; the draw was fair"
The Atletico Madrid manager says they did not miss out on an opportunity by drawing as they are aiming for third place and he also spoke about Antoine Griezmann and his lack of goals.
Diego Simeone rued his side's chances to win the game against Quique Sanchez Flores' well-drilled Espanyol side but accepts that the draw was fair. He also said that Atletico Madrid's objectives remain the same.
"I remain absolutely unmoved. The objective is a third place finish, calm down."
His side sit fourth on Saturday night with Real Sociedad to play on Monday night against Deportivo la Coruña that could see them jump over Simeone's side.
Griezmann's lack of goals
I see it the same as always, he has an excellent work ethic, that is difficult to find in other players. You have to be calm and know that the goals will arrive, just like everything in life."
Simeone's side have lost three and won just two, while drawing against Espanyol on Saturday night. They travel to Villarreal next week before welcoming Las Palmas to end their first round of matches. Neither game is a gauranteed victory with both sides eyeing up Europe.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Bundesliga aims for May restart behind closed doors
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid agree to slash players' wage bill by €33-56m
- CORONAVIRUS Hydroxychloroquine: what is it and can it help fight Covid-19?
- Premier League Coronavirus: UEFA chief hands Liverpool Premier League title
- Premier League No Cristiano Ronaldo in the Ryan Giggs Man United XI
- Barcelona Bartomeu set to overhaul Barcelona board-room a year ahead of elections