Brazil have invited Colombia to play a friendly match next month with the proceeds from the game going to families of the Chapecoense players and staff killed in the Medellín air crash last week, a Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) spokesman told Reuters on Monday.
Last week's disaster, which killed 71 passengers and crew, shocked football fans the world over and plunged Brazil into mourning.
The small side from southern Brazil were heading to Colombia to play local team Atlético Nacional in the final of the Copa Sudamericana. Only six people survived the crash.
"The idea is that the game will be against Colombia, for all that represents," the spokesman said, "but we don't know if they will be able to come because of the dates. But a friendly will take place, against someone else if not Colombia, probably on either January 22 or 25.”
"The proceeds from the match will be sent to the families of the players, the staff and those involved with Chapecoense who died in the crash."
The CBF also said it would donate 5 million reais (1.35 million euros) to Chapecoense to help the club get back on its feet.
The team lost almost all of their players and will need to invest to build a squad for next season.
Chapecoense named champions
They were given an extra incentive on Monday when South American football's governing body named them Copa Sudamericana champions.
The decision gives Chapecoense an automatic place in next year's Copa Libertadores, the South American equivalent of the Champions League.
Nacional had asked for their stricken rivals to be given the title and it means the two sides will meet next year for the Recopa Sudamericana, a two-legged play off between the Sudamericana winners and the Copa Libertadores champions.
Atlético Nacional won the 2016 Libertadores in July.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021: competition schedule: dates, times, events, sports,
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Opening ceremony at Tokyo Olympics 2021: performing artists, times, TV, stream and how to watch
- CORONAVIRUS How dangerous is the delta variant to children and young people?
- OlYMPIC GAMES Why is the UK called Great Britain in the Olympics? What's the difference?
- OLYMPIC GAMES 2021 What are the 2021 Tokyo Olympics mascots? What are their meanings?