Barcelona have set a new record with the most passes attempted in a Champions League game since UEFA started recording the statistic in 2003-2004 with 993 attempted passes against Borussia Monchengladbach on Tuesday night.
Return to possession-based football
After their draw with Real Madrid at the weekend, Gerard Pique said he wanted a return to Barcelona's style, saying "If we recover our style, which we in part recovered today, we're unstoppable and we can turn things around."
993 - Barcelona have attempted 993 passes vs Borussia, a record in a single UCL game since 2003/2004. Taka pic.twitter.com/TJHDIBUHIU— OptaJose (@OptaJose) 6 December 2016
They certainly did that despite not having Sergio Busquets at the base of their midfield. They did, however, have Andres iniesta and Andre Gomes pulling the strings and between the pair they attempted 246 passes. Javier Mascherano led all Barcelona players with 138 attempted passes.
Luis Enrique was criticised for changing Barcelona's style but based on this performance, the Barcelona that kill you by passing the ball around you and not over you are alive and well.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Ghana's president goes into a two-weeks self-isolation
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Real Madrid to play UCL return game in Manchester
- BUNDESLIGA Pep Guardiola 'interfered' and 'knew better' than club doctor
- ALFREDO RELASÑO Zidane, LaLiga, Sergio Ramos and VAR
- QSL Barcelona to wait as Xavi renews as Al-Sadd coach for 20-21 season
- Coronavirus Can coronavirus be spread through the air?