"Do you think I'm worried? He who owes nothing, fears nothing"
Real Madrid's number seven Cristiano Ronaldo was asked by a waiting reporter if he was worried about reports that he has avoided paying tax on 150 million euros and responded: "he who owes nothing, fears nothing", following the Champions League game against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday.
As can be seen in the video, the Portuguese international was heading away from the 2-2 draw at the Santiago Bernabéu amid the usual crowds and rather than, appropriately, avoiding the question put to him in his native language by a waiting journalist from RTP, a Portuguese media outlet, he turned and replied. With a smile he said: "Do you think I'm worried? He who owes nothing, fears nothing." The star continued with his greetings as he made his way out of the mixed zone of the stadium.
Accusations surrounding offshore accounts
Cristiano Ronaldo has been accused of hiding 150 million euros in tax havens in Switzerland and the British Virgin Islands relating to his image rights. On this amount, the striker paid only 5.6 million euros in taxes, or barely four percent, alleges the report. On Wednesday, his club came out in his defence asking for respect.
Other players have also been implicated in the documents made available by Football Leaks. Among others, Radamel Falcao, AS Monaco player, and Manchester United coach, Jose Mourinho, are also being investigated, both of whom are represented by agent Jorge Mendes.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- US NEWS Will be there Black Friday in 2020 and when could it be?
- SERIE A Lautaro Martínez casts doubt over long-term Inter future
- OTHER SPORTS LeBron James wants the Dodgers to win the 2020 World Series
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City preparing for possible end of the Guardiola era
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League in Opta stats: Real Madrid on German run, Lukaku out to extend streak