'Cesarini time': Real make late goals their forte this season
Zidane's side have scored 13 last-gasp goals to win 10 points in LaLiga, four points in the Champions League and the European Super Cup.
So far this campaign, Real Madrid have managed to make last-minute drama their speciality. Zidane's side have got used to living on the edge right up to the closing stages and striking in 'Cesarini time' i.e. in reference to Juventus legend Renato Cesarini's habit of scoring late. In LaLiga Los Blancos have sealed 10 points in the final 10 minutes, while their last-gasp efforts have also earned valuable points in the Champions League group stages and won them the European Super Cup.
In LaLiga Real Madrid have gained 10 points after the 80th minute: Kroos made it 2-1 against Celta in the 81st minute; Morata netted against Athletic Club in the 82nd minute (again 2-1); and club-specialist Sergio Ramos famously headed his side level in the 89th minute in last week's El Clásico, and was at it again in the 92nd minute against Deportivo to grab the win after Mariano had equalised in the 83rd.
In the Champions League, goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Morata in the 88th and 93rd minutes, respectively, saw Madrid surge back against Sporting CP to win a game that looked beyond them, while Kovacic's 84th-minute effort was enough to earn a draw against Legia Warsaw.
Moreover, points are not the only thing Madrid have won at the death; their never-say-die attitude also won them the European Super Cup against Sevilla - as the clock was ticking down Sergio Ramos popped up in the 92nd minute to make it 2-2 and take the game into extra-time before Carvajal brought the silverware to the Bernabéu with a goal in the 118th minute.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match