Club America set date with Real Madrid
Silvio Romero struck twice as the Mexican side beat Asian champions Jeonbuk Motors 2-1 on Sunday to set up a dream semi-final with Zidane's men.
Real Madrid await
Silvio Romero struck twice as Mexican side Club America beat Asian champions Jeonbuk Motors 2-1 on Sunday to set up a dream Club World Cup semi-final with Real Madrid.
Local favourites Kashima Antlers salvaged some pride for Asia, however, when the Japanese title holders toppled South Africa's Mamelodi Sundowns 2-0 in the day's second quarter-final in Osaka.
In the early kickoff, Kim Bo-kyung swept Korean powerhouse Jeonbuk in front after 23 minutes before Romero pounced twice to send the CONCACAF representatives through to the last four. Romero equalised with a clinical header just before the hour mark and the Argentine striker volleyed home the winner via a slight deflection off Jeonbuk forward Kim Shin-Wook after 74 minutes as the K-League side wilted under the mounting pressure.
'The players showed character, attitude and heart,' America coach Ricardo la Volpe told reporters.
'We made some changes and tweaked the system a bit in the second half and got the goals.
'We passed a test today and we will play Real Madrid with no fear,' he added. 'We will have to work twice as hard but everyone expects us to lose so there will be no pressure on us.'
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?