Chapecoense will not be fined for failing to play final game
On December 1st Brazil’s Court of Sports Justice rejected any type of fine or punishment, either sporting or economic, to Chapecoense or Atlético Mineiro.
Diario AS can confirm that the rumour which has been circulating on several internet outlets on Monday purporting that Chapecoense and Atlético Mineiro would each be served a 30 million dollar fine and docked two points for failing to play the final game of the Brasileirão is false.
Diario AS contacted the Brazilian Court of Sports Justice (STJD) that restated what they had previously ruled that no punishment – either sporting or economic, will be served to Chapecoense, the victims of a tragic plane accident 12 days ago while the team was en route to play the Copa Sudamericana final against Atlético Nacional.
Nor will Atlético Mineiro face any kind of sanction, a decision which had been ratified by both the STJD and the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) back on 1 December.
"It is a completely singular, atypical case, particular, different from anything we have seen in the past. Even if someone did take it to the High Court, the file would be closed ", lawyer Felipe Bevilacqua explained last Thursday.
The match between Chapecoense and Atlético Mineiro, corresponding to the final league fixture, did not take place. Neither team turned up at Arena Condá de Chapecó and the game was declared a double W.O. (a walkover – in essence, both teams lost the match 3-0), but without the deduction of any points.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus: Valverde and Madrid eager to fight for title after COVID-19 crisis
- Inter urged to sign Werner and Cavani by Pirelli chief
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus live updates: Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Ghana... cases, deaths and news, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus live updates: deaths and cases - UK, Australia, Canada, Spain... news today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Bundesliga Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich Preview