Kashima third non-European or Latin American CWC finalists
TP Mazembe of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Raja Casablanca are the other sides, but lost to Inter and Bayern respectively.Venezuela-England live online: Final World Cup U20
Kashima Antlers beat Atlético Nacional 3-0 to reach the Club World Cup final on Wednesday, becoming the first Asian side to contest the showpiece game at the annual event and only the third non-European or Latin American club to do so.
The other two sides were Mazembe (2010) and Raja Casablanca (2013). The club from the Democratic Republic of the Congo had knocked out 2006 champions Internacional, who had beaten Barcelona to lift the title that year, before losing 3-0 to Inter Milan in the final.
The Moroccan side followed a similar trajectory, beating Atlético Mineiro in the semi-finals before losing to Bayern Munich 2-0 in the final.
Europe has dominated the tournament since it was relaunched in 2005, with the winners of the Champions League lifting the trophy eight times and Latin America claiming three titles -- São Paulo in 2005, Internacional in 2006 and Corinthians in 2012.
On Sunday Kashima will play either Real Madrid or Club América for the title, in front of their home fans and with the possibility of becoming the first team to break the continental hegemony.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: WHO approves Sinopharm | Efficacy, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- ENTERTAINMENT Jupiter's Legacy cast: who is who in the Netflix series?
- MOTHER'S DAY 2021 Do florists deliver flowers on Mother’s Day? What are the most common flowers?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES Sinopharm vaccine: efficacy, dose, stock and differences with Pfizer, Sinovac, Moderna, Janssen...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS When will SSI recipients receive the Golden State Stimulus?