Toril on Mourinho: You were either his friend or an enemy
The ex-Real Madrid coach and manager butted heads on personal opinions but Toril admits it was under the now Manchester United manager that he learned the most.
Alberto Toril, the current manager of Elche, has spoken to ONDA CERO about his relationship with Jose Mourinho when the two were working at the club. Toril coached Real's youth side for two years before making the step up to coach Real Madrid Castilla during Mourinho's spell as the manager of the club.
"He was very extreme, you were either his friend, or you were an enemy," Toril said. Despite this, the former Real Madrid player says he learned a lot during their spell together at the Madrid club.
He recalls Mourinho's attention to details, "I liked the way he prepared for games, and it's true that he was successful but some of his personal decisions, I did not really like."
There was a time when Mourinho, who is infamous for his secrecy surrounding tactics, would not let Toril watch training despite the fact that he was the manager of Real Madrid Castilla. Toril also worked under Ancelotti and Pellegrini but he says it was under Mourinho that he learned the most.
One of the players they disagreed on was Nacho Fernandez, still at the club, who Toril believed was a central player but Mourinho believed was more of a wide player. Toril says he thinks he was right in the end with a laugh.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGUE 1 | ROTHEN Mbappé attitude under scrutiny amid Pochettino comments
- PORTUGAL Pepe recalls landing in Portugal from Brazil: "Have you anything to eat? I don't have any money..."
- NBA Lakers cruise as Bucks, Celtics extend winning streaks
- NBA James Harden confident about Durant, Irving connection: "We're all unselfish"
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Koeman's Super Cup plans depend on Messi
- CORONAVIRUS What's the difference between the third stimulus check & Biden's rescue plan?