Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola is back in management after being hired as the new boss of Championship club Birmingham City on Wednesday.
Zola has been appointed at St Andrew's just 24 hours after the second-tier team's new Asian owners sacked previous manager Gary Rowett.
The 50-year-old, widely regarded as one of Chelsea's all-time great players, returns to the dug-out after previous spells in charge of West Ham United and Watford.
Birmingham "extremely excited"
"We are delighted to welcome Gianfranco and his backroom team to the club," Birmingham director Panos Pavlakis said.
"His pedigree, philosophy and ambition fits with what we would like to achieve as we move in a new direction.
"Gianfranco has a wealth of top-level experience as both manager and player and we are extremely excited about his appointment."
Rowett fired by new owners
Rowett was surprisingly axed despite leading Birmingham to seventh place in the Championship as Paul Suen, the frontman for the investors who took over in October, starts to make his presence felt at a club with a rich history but a flawed recent past.
Zola, whose reign starts against promotion rivals Brighton on Saturday, has signed a two-and-a half-year contract and will be expected to lead Birmingham into the Premier League.
His former Chelsea team-mate Pierluigi Casiraghi joins him at Birmingham as first-team coach, with another ex-Stamford Bridge team-mate Kevin Hitchcock hired as goalkeeping coach.
Mixed managerial CV
The Italian has mixed managerial pedigree, having been sacked in June after just one season in charge of Qatari side Al-Arabi.
He was dismissed by West Ham in 2010 after an underwhelming spell in his first job as a manager.
Zola's Watford were beaten by Crystal Palace in the 2013 Championship play-off final and he left the Hornets midway through the following season.
He was also sacked by Serie A side Cagliari after just 10 matches in charge in 2015 after failing to lift them out of the relegation zone.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Inter Miami will allow fans to attend match against Orlando City
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Latest News USA When does daylight saving time end in the USA and when do the clocks go back?
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why is McConnell advising against the deal?
- Football Raja Casablanca petition CAF to postpone Zamalek match