Gündogan: Manchester City midfielder in injury blow
Ilkay Gündogan is set for a long lay-off after suffering suspected knee ligament damage in City's 2-0 Premier League win over Watford.
Manchester City have been dealt a blow after German midfielder Ilkay Gündogan sustained a knee injury that manager Pep Guardiola fears will sideline him for "several months".
Taken off after collision with Watford's Amrabat
The Germany international had to be substituted in the 44th minute of City's 2-0 Premier League win over Watford at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday after an accidental collision with Nordin Amrabat.
Guardiola: "It doesn't look good"
Guardiola revealed afterwards he had sustained suspected knee ligament damage. "We are going to miss him for a long time," said the Spaniard. "This is the worst news.
"I'm so so sad," added Guardiola. "The doctors think he has ligament damage, but he doesn't know exactly [how serious it is].
"We will know tomorrow [Thursday], but it doesn't look good. I think it will be several months. He is so sad about it."
Gündogan, 26, joined City from Borussia Dortmund in June for a reported fee of £20 million (23.8 million euros).
Latest injury setback to hit Gündogan
He had dislocated his kneecap in May while training with Germany, which ruled him out of Euro 2016.
Spinal surgery had previously cost him the entire 2013-14 campaign.
Initially sidelined after undergoing surgery at the end of last season, he has impressed since making his debut in a 4-0 Champions League win over Borussia Moenchengladbach on September 14.
To date Gündogan has made 15 appearances for City in all competitions, scoring five goals.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Potential Madrid presidential election could influence summer signings
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey: Messi striving to save Barça's season as chaos reigns
- NBA NBA round-up: LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers
- FOOTBALL Ibrahimovic makes Sanremo festival debut: "I have been the best on this stage"
- LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers, Beal sets Wizards record
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | When it is coming & IRS tax return | Live