Video technology should be made clearer, after "strange game" - Zidane
The Real Madrid coach was ultimately happy with his side's 2-0 win over Club America in the Club World Cup semifinal, but admitted that it was an off-colour performance in Japan.
Zinedine Zidane reflected on a “strange game” following his side’s lacklustre performance as Real Madrid struggled to overcome Club America in the semifinal of the Club World Cup on Thursday.
Madrid out of sorts
Only a last-minute Cristiano Ronaldo goal – ultimately awarded after some confusion surrounding whether to use newly-introduced video technology – really made the gap between Madrid and their Mexican opponents a comfortable one.
The Spanish side were far from at their best in Yokohama, something Zidane addressed after the game.
"We had some difficulty"
“The first half was a little difficult with regards to the rhythm of play because the pitch was hard,” said the Frenchman. “We had some difficulty, but we did well to score before the break. We were better in the second half […] it was a strange game.”
“I am happy, especially to win,” added Zidane, whose side will now face Japan’s Kashima Antlers in Sunday's final. “Now we’ve just one game left to win the trophy, which is the important thing, and we’re going to prepare for it well.”
Video technology "should be made clearer"
Asked about his opinion on the confusion caused by the video-refereeing technology, Zidane was more measured than his player Luka Modric, who expressed his dislike for the new law, which has made a controversial debut at the tournament.
“The problem is that we have to adapt to what FIFA want to do,” he said. “In that incident where was a bit of confusion, it’s true. Things have to be clearer, but the technology, what they want to do to improve things, that’s something we can’t control.
“If they want to improve it’s good for football, but things should be made clearer for everyone. And it wasn’t clear in that incident.”
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem