WIGAN 0 - 2 NEWCASTLE
Rafa Benítez celebrates game 1,000 with Newcastle win
Benítez was on the sidelines for a significant milestone to watch his Newcastle United team overcome Wigan and return the club to the top of the English Championship.
Toon back on top
Newcastle United regained top spot in the English Championship on Wednesday as Mo Diame and substitute Christian Atsu scored either side of halftime to earn them a hard-fought 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic. A great way to celebrate the manager's 1,000th game as a professional manager.
For once it was not United's key striker Dwight Gayle whose marksmanship earned the crucial victory for Rafa Benitez's high-flying Magpies. Diame scored the 26th-minute opener after a fine run and then a neat one-two with Isaac Hayden and Atsu came off the bench to seal victory 12 minutes from time, shooting home from Yoann Gouffran's cross.
Brief summit for the south coasters
The win enabled Newcastle to clamber back to the top by a point over Brighton and Hove Albion, who had temporarily taken over the leadership with their 3-2 win at Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday.
In other Championship news, Thomas Ince's late volley earned Derby County a 1-0 win at Queens Park Rangers, their seventh straight victory taking them to fifth in the table.
Te recomendamos en English
- Halloween What is the history and meaning of Halloween?
- DISNEY+ The Mandalorian Season 2: how many episodes and when are they released on Disney+?
- US Election 2020 What's Biden's plan for Medicare?
- Coronavirus Main Street Lending Program: what changes did Federal Reserve make to small business loans?
- US Election 2020 How many votes did Trump get in Florida in the 2016 presidential election?
- US Election 2020 What's Biden's plan for the economy, stimulus and unemployment?