WIGAN 0 - 2 NEWCASTLE
Rafa Benítez celebrates game 1,000 with Newcastle win
Benítez was on the sidelines for a significant milestone to watch his Newcastle United team overcome Wigan and return the club to the top of the English Championship.
Toon back on top
Newcastle United regained top spot in the English Championship on Wednesday as Mo Diame and substitute Christian Atsu scored either side of halftime to earn them a hard-fought 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic. A great way to celebrate the manager's 1,000th game as a professional manager.
For once it was not United's key striker Dwight Gayle whose marksmanship earned the crucial victory for Rafa Benitez's high-flying Magpies. Diame scored the 26th-minute opener after a fine run and then a neat one-two with Isaac Hayden and Atsu came off the bench to seal victory 12 minutes from time, shooting home from Yoann Gouffran's cross.
Brief summit for the south coasters
The win enabled Newcastle to clamber back to the top by a point over Brighton and Hove Albion, who had temporarily taken over the leadership with their 3-2 win at Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday.
In other Championship news, Thomas Ince's late volley earned Derby County a 1-0 win at Queens Park Rangers, their seventh straight victory taking them to fifth in the table.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Vinicius misses training over Covid-19 test doubts
- David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain
- REAL MADRID-ALAVÉS Zidane: "Hazard hasn't suffered a relapse, he'll be ready tomorrow"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League quarter final draw Live: how and where to watch
- CORONAVIRUS How to get stimulus check without filing taxes?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how long could voting be delayed?