AC Milan's Gianluigi Donnarumma moved a virtual step closer to taking over as Italy's number one goalkeeper after Azzurri legend Gianluigi Buffon said he is likely to retire in 2018.
Juventus shot-stopper Buffon earned his 167th cap in a goalless friendly with Germany last month -- when Donnarumma played the second half to make his second Azzurri appearance -- to pull level with retired Spain legend and fellow goalkeeper Iker Casillas.
Buffon is now just 17 caps behind world record-holder Ahmed Hassan of Egpyt (184), a tally he may just overtake depending on how Italy fare at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
Buffon to call it quits in 2018
In comments to Premium Sport, Buffon said: "My idea is to leave football as a player after the 2018 World Cup. I'm pretty sure of it."
Buffon said there was "only a remote possibility" he could extend his long and storied career beyond that date.
The rise of Donnarumma
Given the emergence of Donnarumma, a 17-year-old who pushed Diego Lopez aside at AC Milan last season to become the seven-time European champions' number one between the sticks, Buffon's announcement comes as little surprise.
He was largely expected to retire from the game after the 2018 World Cup, where Donnarumma -- now in his second season in Italy's top flight -- could showcase his skills to a global audience.
Buffoon trading in his gloves for a whistle?
Buffon recently became a father for the third time and last month hinted he could go on to coach Italy.
"A coaching role and all that it entails on a daily basis wouldn't appeal to me," Buffon said in an interview with Corriere della Sera.
"But I wouldn't exclude a national team coaching role: I would still be involved in the game but have some freedom to dedicate myself to other things."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Potential Madrid presidential election could influence summer signings
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey: Messi striving to save Barça's season as chaos reigns
- NBA NBA round-up: LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers
- FOOTBALL Ibrahimovic makes Sanremo festival debut: "I have been the best on this stage"
- LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers, Beal sets Wizards record
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | When it is coming & IRS tax return | Live