Nacional 2 - 2 América (4-3 pens)
Atletico Nacional beat Club America for CWC third place
A penalty shoot out was required for the South American champions to clinch third place after a 2-2 draw in normal time. A happy ending to an emotional week.
Atletico Nacional beat Mexico's Club America 4-3 on penalties to finish third at the FIFA Club World Cup on Sunday and cap an emotional three weeks for the Colombian side.
Miguel Borja swept home the decisive spot kick - after some early misses from the Mexican's relieved some pressure - to seal victory for the reigning Libertadores Cup holders after they had squandered a two-goal lead over the 90 minutes in Yokohama.
Quickly into their stride
Atletico, who failed to reach the final in Japan following their incidental part in the air tragedy that decimated Brazilian rivals Chapecoense last month, looked as if they would run away with the third-place encounter after an explosive start.
Embarrassed by a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Japan's Kashima Antlers in midweek, Atletico went ahead after just six minutes through a Miguel Samudio own goal. Alejandro Guerra then slammed in a second.
The Mexican comeback
But Michael Arroyo pulled one back with a ferocious volley seven minutes before the break. Substitute Oribe Peralta lashed home the equaliser from the penalty spot to make it 2-2.
Atletico, who made headlines when Chapecoense's squad were all but wiped out by a plane crash while en route to play them in the Copa Sudamericana final, were cheered by a huge contingent of fans, many waving Chape flags in tribute to the fallen side.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus stimulus checks What have Republicans said about a second stimulus check?
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits: can you still get them if you are fired?
- US election 2020 Election US 2020: who are the top economic officials named by Biden?
- LIGA MX Miguel Herrera to continue as the head coach of Club América
- BOXING Tyson admits to smoking a joint ahead of Roy Jones fight
- Football Aspetar to host sports medicine forum until Qatar 2022