Club World Cup ref explains why he didn't send Ramos off
Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos should have picked up a second booking against Kashima, but referee Sikazwe failed to produce the card. Venezuela-England live online: Final World Cup U20
It was one of the defining moments of the Club World Cup final, which saw Real Madrid beat Kashima in extra-time: Sergio Ramos, already on a booking, brought down a Kashima player on the break, with the game tied at 2-2 just before the 90 minutes were up.
Referee Janny Sikazwe reached for his top pocket as Ramos, fearing the worst, ran back into defence. But the card never came. Ref Sikazwe eventually deciding to let the matter rest, with many accusing him of having realised he'd be sending Ramos off and deciding not to go ahead with the booking.
Referee: Just poor communication
Now the referee has given his version of events, saying the incident was merely down to poor communication.
With a card or without a card?
"It was just a lack of communication between my assistant referee and me. He indicated it was a foul, and said on the earpiece that there was "no card". However I understood 'with a card'", said Sikazwe. "That's all it was, just a lack of understanding".
Te recomendamos en English
- us election 2020 GSA tells Biden presidential transition can begin
- Former Barcelona and Milan midfielder Halilovic joins Championship side Birmingham City
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Trippier looking solid and settled at Atlético Madrid
- INTER MILAN-REAL MADRID Casemiro back for Inter Milan but Zidane without Benzema
- QATAR 2022 Facts about Al-Bayt stadium, the inaugural venue at Qatar 2022
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS Unemployment benefits: why could Biden sacrifice them for a covid-19 stimulus bill?