Striker Karim Benzema celebrated his 29th birthday on Monday fresh from helping Real Madrid to Club World Cup success, and in a rich vein of recent form.
Four goals in last three appearances
Benzema has hit four goals in his last three games: two against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, and one in each of Los Blancos' clashes in Japan.
Has equalled Butragueño haul - in less time
What's more, his Club World Cup final strike against Kashima Antlers - which capped a superb individual display - saw him draw level with legend Emilio Butragueño on 171 as Real's ninth highest ever goalscorer.
And the Frenchman has reached the total in 128 appearances fewer than 'El Buitre', with a goals-per-game average of 0.51 that also beats Real greats such as Raúl González Blanco (0.43) and Santillana (0.45).
Next in the ex-Olympique Lyonnais man's sights is Pirri, who is just one ahead in the Bernabéu outfit's all-time standings on 172.
Real's leading scorer in Champions League
Benzema, who has been at Madrid since 2009, has netted 10 times in 20 matches this term, reserving his best scoring form for international competitions.
In addition to his record of two in two at the Club World Cup, he is Real's top marksman in this season's Champions League, with four goals in six games.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Pochettino hopeful of having Neymar available for Coupe de France final
- BARCELONA Barcelona secure 500 million euro loan from Goldman Sachs
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit 2021: is there a maximum number of children who can receive payments?
- Champions League Manchester City to pay fans' travel costs for Champions League final
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester United vs Fulham: live
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Barcelona's Champions League win boosts women's football in Spain