Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has spoken of his confidence that Lionel Messi will pen fresh terms at the Spanish champions.
Messi, who starred in Barça's 4-1 LaLiga win over Espanyol at the weekend, is yet to extend his current contract, which runs out in 2018.
Suárez, Neymar futures secured
Fellow strikers Luis Suárez and Neymar have both been tied down on new deals in the past couple of months, with the Uruguayan signing on until 2021 on Friday.
On Sunday, vice-president Jordi Mestre said negotiations were yet to begin with Messi's camp, but was optimistic he'd soon join the pair in committing.
"After those of Neymar and Luis Suárez, we hope to finalise it [Messi's contract] in the first quarter of the year," Mestre explained.
Bartomeu: "I'm sure Messi will retire here"
And in a press conference on Tuesday, Bartomeu said: "We'd like him to finish his career here. Messi wants to continue because he's happy, it's his club."
"Messi loves this club," the Barcelona chief continued. "He's another Catalan. I'm sure he'll retire here. The names Messi and Barça go hand in hand.
"Messi is the best player in history, we'd like him to finish his career here and we'll work hard to make sure of that."
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: FDA approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- Barcelona - Atlético Madrid Messi and Suárez to face off for first time in title decider
- PREMIER LEAGUE Bale hitting top form as Real Madrid star mulls Spurs stay
- Inter Milan Lautaro: I nearly joined Messi at Barcelona and Real Madrid tried to sign me twice
- REAL MADRID Juventus look to Zidane as replacement for Pirlo