Sanchez Flores begs fans for forgiveness following Messi praise
The Espanyol coach upset supporters following his side's 4-1 defeat to Barcelona on Sunday when he hugged opposition player Lionel Messi, asked for his shirt, and then gushed over him in his press conference.
Espanyol coach Quique Sánchez Flores has apologised to the club’s fans for showering Lionel Messi with too much praise following the side’s derby 4-1 defeat to Barcelona on Sunday.
Sanchez Flores hugged the Barça star, proceeded to ask him for his shirt to give to his son, and then gushed in his post-match press conference: "Messi changes every game, he stops time. He's the only player who could score a hat trick in every game if he wanted to."
On Wednesday though the ex-Atletico and Watford manager was forced to ask forgiveness after fans were left disappointed by what they deemed as over-effusive behaviour towards a rival player.
"I didn’t intend to create any sort of negativity," he said. "If that has been the case, that I’ve caused disappointment for Espanyol fans, then I am really sorry because it was not what I intended.
"I feel terrible....I'm sorry"
"I am committed to Espanyol and I’m grateful for all the support I have received from fans -- our objective is to make them all happy. If they have to cry then it should be happy tears.
"I feel terrible at having generated this uncomfortable feeling among the fans. I’m really sorry. I’ve tried to represent Espanyol as best as I can and I hope our fans are proud of how we represent them. If I have hurt any of them, then I beg for their forgiveness."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Bale becomes a big problem
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid confirm Lucas Vázquez injury
- World Cup 2022 Three years until 2022 Qatar World Cup kicks off
- EURO 2020 Euro 2020 play-offs draw: how and where to watch: times, TV, online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: Manchester City vs Chelsea, game of the weekend
- REAL MADRID-REAL SOCIEDAD Odegaard: "If I score against Real Madrid, I won't celebrate"