Sanchez Flores begs fans for forgiveness following Messi praise
The Espanyol coach upset supporters following his side's 4-1 defeat to Barcelona on Sunday when he hugged opposition player Lionel Messi, asked for his shirt, and then gushed over him in his press conference.
Espanyol coach Quique Sánchez Flores has apologised to the club’s fans for showering Lionel Messi with too much praise following the side’s derby 4-1 defeat to Barcelona on Sunday.
Sanchez Flores hugged the Barça star, proceeded to ask him for his shirt to give to his son, and then gushed in his post-match press conference: "Messi changes every game, he stops time. He's the only player who could score a hat trick in every game if he wanted to."
On Wednesday though the ex-Atletico and Watford manager was forced to ask forgiveness after fans were left disappointed by what they deemed as over-effusive behaviour towards a rival player.
"I didn’t intend to create any sort of negativity," he said. "If that has been the case, that I’ve caused disappointment for Espanyol fans, then I am really sorry because it was not what I intended.
"I feel terrible....I'm sorry"
"I am committed to Espanyol and I’m grateful for all the support I have received from fans -- our objective is to make them all happy. If they have to cry then it should be happy tears.
"I feel terrible at having generated this uncomfortable feeling among the fans. I’m really sorry. I’ve tried to represent Espanyol as best as I can and I hope our fans are proud of how we represent them. If I have hurt any of them, then I beg for their forgiveness."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Martin Luther King Jr Day: most famous quotes & speeches
- US POLITICS Biden-Harris reveal inauguration playlist: songs and where to listen
- NFL NFL conference championship finals: dates, times & previews
- NFL Playoff Final When and where is Super Bowl LV 2021? - Date, location & kick-off time
- NFL Patrick Mahomes injured: When could he return?
- UNITED STATES $1,400 third stimulus check updates today: when is it coming, What Biden said about it, eligibility, IRS tax | Live