Chapecoense tribute ahead of Copa Libertadores 2017 draw
The draw for South America's most prestigious football tournament was held last night in Paraguay preceded by an emotive tribute to Chapecoense.
The Copa Libertadores 2017 kicks off on January 23 after the draw for the preliminary rounds and group stage of the competition were made last night in Luque (Gran Asunción, Paraguay) in an event preceded by an emotive tribute to Brazilian club Chapecoense. Representatives from the Serie A side were present at the event and received the loudest applause of the evening.
The club were awarded with the Copa Sudamericana trophy and president of the Brazilian club Plinio David De Nes Filho was on hand to receive the trophy. A clearly emotional De Nes Filho called upon David jiménez, club representative from Colombian side Atlético Nacional to share the moment as the hall stood in honour of the emotive gesture.
Fair play award for At. Nacional
The Colombian side also were awarded with the COMNEBOL Fair Play award for the season after their sporting gesture to award Chapecoense with the cup..
After the presentation the business of the draw got under way with the 47 participants learning their fate for the 2017 edition of the most prestigious tournament in the continent.
Draw for the first, second, third phase and group stage of the Copa Libertadores 2017:
- First phase:
1) Universidad de Sucre (BOL) - Wanderers (URU) (E1)
2) Deportivo Municipal (PER) - Independiente del Valle (ECU) (E2)
3) Deportivo Capiatá (PAR) - Deportivo Táchira (VEN) (E3)
- Second phase:
1) Atlético Paranaense (BRA) - Millonarios (COL) (C1)
2) Botafogo (BRA) - Colo-Colo (CHI) (C2)
3) Atlético Cerro (URU) - Unión Española (CHI) (C3)
4) Carabobo (VEN) - Junior (COL) (C4)
5) Atlético Tucumán (ARG) - El Nacional (ECU) (C5)
6) E1 - The Strongert (BOL) (C6)
7) E2 - Olimpia (PAR) (C7)
8) E3 - (Universitario (PER) (C8)
- Third phase:
1) C1 - C8 (G1)
2) C2 - C7 (G2)
3) C3 - C6 (G3)
4) C4 - C5 (G4)
- Group stage:
Grupo 1: Atlético Nacional (COL), Estudiantes de la Plata (ARG), Barcelona (ECU) y G2.
Grupo 2: Santos (BRA), Independiente de Santa Fe (COL), Sporting Cristal (PER) y G3.
Grupo 3: River Plate (ARG), Emelec (ECU), Independiente de Medellín (COL) y Melgar (PER).
Grupo 4: San Lorenzo (ARG), Universidad Católica (CHI), Flamengo (BRA) y G1.
Grupo 5: Peñarol (URU), Palmeiras (BRA), Jorge Wilsterman (BOL) y G4.
Grupo 6: Atlético Mineiro (BRA), Libertad (PAR), Godoy Cruz (ARG) y Sport Boys (PER).
Grupo 7: Nacional (URU), Chapecoense (BRA), Lanús (ARG) y Zuliá (VEN).
Grupo 8: Gremio (BRA), Guaraní (PAR), Zamora (VEZ) y Deportivo Iquique (CHI).
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League United worry ahead of Liverpool game as De Gea limps off for Spain
- Spain U-21 Barcelona teenage sensation Ansu Fati makes Spain U-21 debut
- PSG Tuchel: "It's not nice to hear Neymar saying he wants to leave"
- FOOTBALL UEFA charge Bulgaria over racist chants and Nazi salutes
- Euro 2020 Euro 2020 qualifying tables
- BARCELONA Barcelona planning 589 km bus trip to Eibar