Athletic Bilbao defender, Yeray, diagnosed with testicular cancer
Club president, Urrutia, and the head of the medical team, Jotxean Lekue, made an announcement to the media about the health of the 21-year old.
Testicular cancer diagnosed
Athletic Bilbao held a special press conference on Friday evening to announce that Yeray, their 21-year old central defender has a tumour in his testicles. The player will have an operation next week. Born in Barakaldo in the Basque country, Yeray made his first team debut against Sassuolo this season.
President of the Basque club, Josu Urrutia, and the head of their medical team, Jotxean Lekue, met with the gathered press to communicate the information as per instructions from the player who was at home awaiting the surgery.
Mature on and off the field
Urrita tried to transmit calm and stated that the player was in positive mood: "Throughout yesterday, medical tests were carried out on Yeray and they detected a tumour on his testicles. In the first instance he will require an operation which will take place in the coming week. The player is fine, strong, calm, he is showing his maturity, not only on the field, but off it too. He is an optimist. As are we".
Jotxean Lekue, head of the club's medical team advised that the surgery was to remove the player's right testicle, He also stressed that it was a simple procedure and that he was optimistic about its success.
Yeray has played 17 times for Athletic this season helping them to maintain a fight for a European place.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS US elections 2020: who are the three moderators for the presidential debates?
- US ELECTION USA election 2020: who won the first debate in 2016?
- Coronavirus Covid-19 surges continue in India as caseload surpasses 6 million
- PREMIER LEAGUE Diogo Jota delighted by Reds' reaction to first Liverpool goal
- REAL MADRID Zidane: "We already have a big squad, why would we want to add to it?"