Athletic Bilbao defender, Yeray, diagnosed with testicular cancer
Club president, Urrutia, and the head of the medical team, Jotxean Lekue, made an announcement to the media about the health of the 21-year old.
Testicular cancer diagnosed
Athletic Bilbao held a special press conference on Friday evening to announce that Yeray, their 21-year old central defender has a tumour in his testicles. The player will have an operation next week. Born in Barakaldo in the Basque country, Yeray made his first team debut against Sassuolo this season.
President of the Basque club, Josu Urrutia, and the head of their medical team, Jotxean Lekue, met with the gathered press to communicate the information as per instructions from the player who was at home awaiting the surgery.
Mature on and off the field
Urrita tried to transmit calm and stated that the player was in positive mood: "Throughout yesterday, medical tests were carried out on Yeray and they detected a tumour on his testicles. In the first instance he will require an operation which will take place in the coming week. The player is fine, strong, calm, he is showing his maturity, not only on the field, but off it too. He is an optimist. As are we".
Jotxean Lekue, head of the club's medical team advised that the surgery was to remove the player's right testicle, He also stressed that it was a simple procedure and that he was optimistic about its success.
Yeray has played 17 times for Athletic this season helping them to maintain a fight for a European place.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Kroos is having the best season of his Real Madrid career
- World Cup 2022 Work at the Al Bayt stadium almost complete
- Bundesliga Dortmund: Mourinho in line to replace under-fire Favre
- Champions League Pep Guardiola loses patience with slow Stones
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Spurs squad '1000 per cent' behind Pochettino
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Suárez bids to end away drought: Champions League in numbers