Athletic's Yeray Álvarez operated on "without incident"
The Athletic Bilbao defender was diagnosed with testicular cancer last week and underwent an orchiectomy on Tuesday morning.
Athletic Bilbao defender Yeray Álvarez, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer last week, has been successfully operated on and is expected to be discharged from hospital on Wednesday, the club said in a statement.
Yeray underwent an orchiectomy and the procedure was described by Athletic as “passing without incident.”
The operation was performed just four days after club president Josu Urrutia announced at a press conference that the 21-year-old academy product had been diagnosed with a tumour and that the prognosis was “optimistic.”
Yeray came through the ranks at Lezema, playing for the youth sides from the age of 13 all the way up to Bilbao Athletic, the reserve side, in 2014-15. He made his senior debut on September 15 in the Europa League and has gone on to command a regular starting place at San Mamés, making 17 appearances in all competitions this season.
Te recomendamos en English
- Leeds United Kiko Casilla given 8 match ban for racial abuse of Jonathan Leko
- REAL MADRID-BARCELONA Wuhan Zall invited by LaLiga and Madrid to watch El Clásico
- REAL MADRID-BARCELONA Rivaldo: "I haven't see any improvement at Barça since Setién's arrival"
- El Clásico Zinedine Zidane pre-Clásico press conference: how and where to watch – times, online
- JUVENTUS Cristiano: "I'm convinced Juventus will make the quarter finals"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Tuchel: "Now is the time for PSG to be confident