Athletic's Yeray Álvarez operated on "without incident"
The Athletic Bilbao defender was diagnosed with testicular cancer last week and underwent an orchiectomy on Tuesday morning.
Athletic Bilbao defender Yeray Álvarez, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer last week, has been successfully operated on and is expected to be discharged from hospital on Wednesday, the club said in a statement.
Yeray underwent an orchiectomy and the procedure was described by Athletic as “passing without incident.”
The operation was performed just four days after club president Josu Urrutia announced at a press conference that the 21-year-old academy product had been diagnosed with a tumour and that the prognosis was “optimistic.”
Yeray came through the ranks at Lezema, playing for the youth sides from the age of 13 all the way up to Bilbao Athletic, the reserve side, in 2014-15. He made his senior debut on September 15 in the Europa League and has gone on to command a regular starting place at San Mamés, making 17 appearances in all competitions this season.
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Napoli sack Ancelotti
- Liverpool 'greedy for more' in Champions League after booking last-16 spot
- Champions League Champions League last 16 taking shape ahead of Monday draw
- Inter Milan 1-2 Barcelona Ansu Fati becomes youngest ever Champions League goal scorer
- Manchester City Guardiola backs Foden to become heartbeat of City team
- Juventus Sarri wants Juventus to finish in style