Luis Enrique has been informed of an injury to his goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen upon his return to work with Barcelona after the Christmas break. Marc-André ter Stegen's back-up injured himself during the Christmas holidays and will not be available for the bulk of January.
According to Mundo Deportivo, Cillessen suffered a calf muscle injury and will be out for up to three weeks with the injury. The Dutch goalkeeper had played in both Barcelona's Copa del Rey games against Hércules and would have most likely been given the chance to play against Athletic Club on Thursday, January the 5th and Wednesday, January the 11th in the same competition.
He will also most likely miss out on games against Villarreal, Las Palmas and Eibar. Barcelona will play five games in 17 days starting with the away clash against Ernesto Valverde's side and might need some squad rotation to make it through the difficult period.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Hart knew the writing was on the wall when Pep took over City
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Neville expects more Premier League players to drop out
- BUNDESLIGA Der Klassiker: Do Dortmund finally have what it takes to beat Bayern?
- Too early to compare Haaland to Lewandowski, claims Flick
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: What is the Skills Renewal Act?
- Coronavirus Real Madrid, Barcelona, Istanbul: no champions as EuroLeague calls time on 2019-20 season