Luis Enrique has been informed of an injury to his goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen upon his return to work with Barcelona after the Christmas break. Marc-André ter Stegen's back-up injured himself during the Christmas holidays and will not be available for the bulk of January.
According to Mundo Deportivo, Cillessen suffered a calf muscle injury and will be out for up to three weeks with the injury. The Dutch goalkeeper had played in both Barcelona's Copa del Rey games against Hércules and would have most likely been given the chance to play against Athletic Club on Thursday, January the 5th and Wednesday, January the 11th in the same competition.
He will also most likely miss out on games against Villarreal, Las Palmas and Eibar. Barcelona will play five games in 17 days starting with the away clash against Ernesto Valverde's side and might need some squad rotation to make it through the difficult period.
Te recomendamos en English
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Klopp: "Atlético are a machine - they're not playing as badly as people make out"
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Alexander-Arnold: "Madrid holds good memories but we've got a job to do tomorrow"
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Simeone: "Pessimism? I see optimism and hope"
- Neymar ready to face Borussia Dortmund, Tuchel confirms
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Martin Braithwaite's agent arrives to open talks
- LAUREUS 2020 Messi and Lewis Hamilton share Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award