Lakmal: Sri Lanka bowler takes first Test wicket of 2017
Suranga Lakmal enjoyed the honour of picking up the first Test wicket of the calendar year in Sri Lanka's clash with South Africa on Monday.
Sri Lanka seamer Suranga Lakmal claimed the first Test wicket of 2017 when he dismissed South Africa opener Stephen Cook in the first over of the second Test on Monday.
Cook caught out for early duck
Bowling on a grassy pitch and under an overcast sky, the 29-year-old right-armer enticed Cook to edge behind to wicketkeeper Dinesh Chandimal off just the fourth ball at Newlands.
Cook had made 59 and 117 in the first Test at Port Elizabeth which South Africa won by 206 runs, but on this occasion returned to the pavilion with zero.
Wicket first up for Sri Lanka. Lakmal strikes, seeing the end of Cook without scoring. SA 3/1 #SAvSL— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) 2 January 2017
Elgar brought up maiden runs of 2017
Fellow opener Dean Elgar hit the first Test runs of the new year when the left-hander pushed for three through the covers.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash