Messi interview in 'Coach' untrue
FC Barcelona, as well as the magazine responsible, are investigating how an apparent fake interview with the Argentine star managed to be published on their website.
Those around Barcelona player Lionel Messi are angry at the publication today of a supposed interview done with the star and published by the online magazine, Coach, which appears now to have been invented.
According to Mundo Deportivo, the Argentinian's father has called out the authenticity of the story and the Catalan club are investigating what happened. Jorge Messi said:
"This interview doesn't exist, it is a lie," he told the Barcelona-based paper.
How fake news innocently spreads
The magazine that published the interview, which was picked up by several world outlets in good faith, including Diario AS, are also undertaking their own investigation into what happened.
Quiero aclarar que no trabajo ni trabajé para la revista Coach Magazine y no participé de la entrevista a Messi que me atribuyen— diego jokas (@diegojokas) 18 January 2017
AS have since been in touch with the author that was named by Coach, journalist for Tenfield, Sport 890 y TyC Sports in Uruguay, Diego Jokas, who has denied being involved:
"I want to make clear that I don't work, and have never worked, for Coach magazine, and never participated in the Messi interview that they have attributed to me," he later tweeted.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?