Deschamps: "It's never too late for Benzema to come back"
The France coach has left the door open for the Real Madrid striker to return to the national fold and says he will have no problems reintegrating.
France coach Didier Deschamps has spoken afresh about the situation surrounding Karim Benzema and Les Bleus, with the Real Madrid striker having been frozen out of the international picture for a year and a half over his alleged involvement in the so-called Valbuena case.
Speaking on Wednesday, Deschamps again opened the door for Benzema to return to the national fold but refused to confirm if he will recall the forward for the upcoming international fixtures in March.
"He is still one of the best strikers France have got"
“If I think it is the right thing for the team to call up Karim then I’ll do it. I only make decisions on sporting considerations and I do so in the interest of France. The institution is above everything else. Whatever will be, will be but I have no ill-feeling towards him. Other players can say inappropriate things. It’s not a question of saying ‘I like this’ or ‘I don’t like that.’ He is still one of the best strikers France have got,” Deschamps said in an interview with Le Parisien.
"I'm not putting a timeframe on things"
Asked whether Benzema would find it hard to fit back into the squad after such a long time on the outside looking in, Deschamps said he didn’t think it would be a problem. “Nothing is impossible. Lassana Diarra wasn’t in the squad for five years and then came back. Nobody knows what tomorrow holds. I’m not putting any timeframe on things.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times