Sergio Ramos turned Real Madrid's fortunes around in Naples, scoring at the start of the second half against Napoli in the Champions League last-16 second leg, with Real Madrid trailing 1-0 on the night and looking nervous with just one more goal for the Italians being enough to see them through at that point.
Ramos to the rescue for Real Madrid
With Real Madrid level and their nerves settled, Ramos then headed goalwards again just five minutes later, his effort hit Mertens and nestled in the back of net, and Real Madrid, and Napoli, knew the tie was over. Real Madrid's second was credited to Mertens as an own goal, but the artifice was Ramos. He'd single-handedly turned a match round, in which Real Madrid were looking very, very shaky.
Ramos has scored 10 goals in 16/17
With his two goals tonight Ramos has now scored 10 in total in 2016-17, many of them utterly vital. He's only behind three Real Madrid players this season in the scoring charts: Morata (13, with one tonight, Real Madrid's third), Benzema (15) and Cristiano Ronaldo (25).
Ramos level with Roberto Carlos
Sergio Ramos is now level on goals with Roberto Carlos, both having notched 68 times for Real Madrid. They are in third place on the defender goal-scoring charts for the club. Pirri leads, with 172, while Hierro bagged 127.
Real Madrid vs Real Betis live stream | LaLiga
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA Gymnastics Women's Team Finals: participants, format, scoring
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Simone Biles’ family life: who are her parents and boyfriend?
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What is Simone Biles' net worth?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?