Konta beats Wozniacki to land biggest career win in Miami
The world number 11 defeated the former number one in two sets to record her first Premier event title and will move to number seven in the ranking.
Johanna Konta beat former world number one Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets to win the Miami Open on Saturday - the biggest title won by a British woman in 40 years.
Konta, who had never won an elite WTA premier mandatory event, will move to number seven in the world rankings with the victory.
She began superbly, breaking to love in the opening game before Wozniacki swiftly broke back to level at 2-2.
After another break each, the Briton took advantage of two double-faults from the Dane to break to 5-4 and serve out for the set.
There was a similar pattern to the start of the second set, with the pair exchanging breaks in the first two games. The key moment came when Konta broke to go 4-3 up, with a little help from the net cord.
Konta makes history
Konta then broke again, with a lob on match-point, to secure the biggest win of her career and the best by a British woman since Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977.
It was Wozniacki's third final of the year and third defeat following her loses in Dubai and Doha.
No third time lucky for Wozniacki
"I was hoping it was going to be third time lucky in my third final but we will go for the fourth one," said Wozniacki.
Speaking on court she said "Congratulations Johanna, you played really well today, you deserved the win, you played better than me."
Konta claimed her second title of the year, after a triumph in Sydney.
She has now won both her matches with Wozniacki after beating her in the Australian Open in January.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?