A fan of Argentinian football club Belgrano has died after being thrown over the side of a stadium stand by supporters of the same team this weekend.
Emanuel Balbo was beaten and pushed to his death at a match against Talleres, after being accused of being a follower of Belgrano's fellow Córdoba-based side.
Balbo, 22, was left in a coma after hitting his head on impact, suffering cardiac arrest and major brain trauma, before succumbing to his injuries this morning.
Incident said to have been caused by killer of Balbo's brother
His father said the incident came about due to a personal issue with one of the Belgrano fans, Óscar Eduardo 'El Sarpito' Goméz, who is understood to have been responsible for the death of Emanuel's brother in 2012.
Gómez is said to have initiated the accusations over Emanuel's allegiances, leading other members of the home support to round on him.
"My son is a Belgrano fan, but the problem comes from the fact that four years ago one of my sons was killed," Raúl Balbo told Argentinian radio. "And Emanuel found himself in the crowd with one of the men who killed him.
"Given that Gómez is not much of a man, instead of defending himself alone he incited all of the friends he had there to violence and they beat up my son."
Four arrested in connection with death
Police in Córdoba have revealed that four arrests have been made. Although Gómez is not among that group, he is expected to be detained in the coming hours.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win