Gareth Bale to miss Champions League derby: out for a month
The Welshman has suffered a grade two injury to his left calf muscle, one that the player has had several problems with before. He may be back just in time for the Cardiff finalReal Madrid - Alavés: LaLiga 2017-18
Gareth Bale will be absent for three to four weeks after the Real Madrid medical team confirmed on Tuesday that the player suffered a grade two injury to his left calf. This means that the Welshman will miss both Champions League semi-finals against Atlético Madrid but will be hopeful of making himself available for the final which takes place in Cardiff on 3 June.
Bale not able to shatter the 'glass man' tag
Madrid's number 11 had to be substituted in the 35th minute of Sunday's Clásico against Barcelona after a recurrence of an injury to his right ankle. The new problem with his calf is the eighth he has suffered to date, six in the left leg and two in the right. Since joining Los Blancos the forward has had 17 injuries.
Strength for El Clásico
After missing out on the two games prior to the title rivalry against Barcelona - away to Sporting and the return leg in the quarter final against Bayern Munich - Bale was keen to play in the biggest domestic club match in the world and his manager, Zinedine Zidane, willing to play him, despite medical advice stating that it would be a risk. It was clear from the first half an hour that the speedy, physical player was not at the races in the way that he has shown himself in the past.
No risk taking for Zidane
Zidane though was clear, amid accusations that Real Madrid presdident Florentino Pérez could be an influencing factor in the continued presence whenever possible, of Bale, Benzema and Cristiano, that he wouldn't take risks.
“I would never risk a footballer who was not 100%”, he has said repeatedly.
- Roque Mesa1007Passes
*Update 25 de abril de 2017
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win