Herrera ends De Gea dominance to win United Player of the Year
Ander Herrera finished 242 votes ahead of utility Antonio Valencia, while top goalscorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic was third.
Ander Herrera has been named Manchester United's Player of the Year for 2016-17, ending David de Gea's stranglehold on the award.
Spanish United stars: De Gea to Herrera
United goalkeeper De Gea had claimed the coveted Sir Matt Busy Player of the Year accolade in the three previous seasons but his dominant run was ended by Spanish midfielder Herrera on Thursday.
Herrera, Valencia, Zlatan
Herrera, 27, finished 242 votes ahead of utility Antonio Valencia – who took out the Players' Player of the Year award – while top goalscorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic was third.
"It's very special for me to win this award because when you see the list of winners, you realise how important it is," said Herrera. "And I stopped the record of David!
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In