Vargas goal ruled out for offside by VAR but doubts remain
The referee consulted the VAR and decided that Eduardo Vargas was offside as he was denied a finish that gave Chile the lead over Cameroon on Sunday night.
The VAR system was back in action during Chile and Cameroon as a goal by Eduardo Vargas was ruled out at the end of the half that caused confused and anger amongst the Chile players as they made their way to the dressing room.
Despite expert anlaysis, and not so expert analysis, there still remains doubt over the decision. There have been several replays but the difinitve angle seems to be turned slightly to the right meaning it does not give us a conclusive image over whether Vargas was offside.
Another sticking point is whether Vargas needed to be entirely behind the Cameroonian defender or whather the referee is supposed to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player in instances like that. The one thing it has proven is that with VAR there is work to do and a process of education that leads to trust from players and fans.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?