Having appeared to have been brought to an end by Sevilla's announcement that their Spain international winger had agreed to renew his contract, the Vitolo saga has taken a new, unexpected twist.
Vitolo jets to Madrid with Sevilla contract announced - but not signed
According to Cadena SER, the Atlético Madrid target travelled to the Spanish capital on Tuesday, with a move to Los Rojiblancos - via hometown club Las Palmas - appearing to be on the cards once more.
He is now said to be awaiting further developments in Madrid, with several reports on Tuesday night claiming his Sevilla release clause is to be activated on Wednesday.
Due to Atlético's current registration ban, it is anticipated that he would play for Las Palmas until the Madrid club's suspension is lifted in January 2018.
With Sevilla president José Castro having publicly confirmed the 27-year-old's new, five-year deal on Monday, the Andalusians are furious at this latest turn of events.
Vitolo, who only arrived back in Seville from holiday on Monday night, is yet to actually sign the contract, and had been expected to do so at the club's stadium, the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán, on Tuesday morning.
Atlético Madrid make 11th-hour call to Vitolo
However, that plan was halted by a late Atlético call making him a last-ditch offer.
Now, while Sevilla are pointing to his new contract - which has been signed by Castro, Vitolo's father and his agents - the player is said to remain convinced that he has not extended his terms with his current club.
Sevilla now want 50m release figure, could report player
Cadena SER also reports that Sevilla, who have so far been demanding the 36-40m-euro buy-out figure in the four-year contract he penned in August 2016, will now seek the 50m in his fresh agreement if they are to part with him.
Furthermore, the five-time UEFA Cup/Europa League winners are said to be threatening to take legal action against the Canary Islander for what they perceive would be breach of contract.