Danilo’s Swift turnaround from Real Madrid to Manchester City could come full circle as quickly as Wednesday evening when his former club and his new one meet in a friendly game in Los Angeles.
The former Porto defender did not enjoy the most successful of spells at the Bernabéu on a personal level, losing his tussle with Dani Carvajal for the starting spot on the right and being the object of derision from the stands on occasion. However, Danilo is looking forward to a new stage in his career and said the personal intervention of Pep Guardiola was key to his decision to leave Madrid – even if Zinedine Zidane tried to persuade him to stay.
Danilo: "Zidane tried to convince me to stay"
“Everything happened very quickly,” Danilo told reporters in the US. “I was training with Real Madrid and Pep called me up. I felt so motivated by the change that I started working with him.”
Danilo immediately asked to speak to Zidane and although the Real boss told him he remained part of his plans for the upcoming season, the Brazilian’s mind was made up. “Zidane tried to convince me to stay but I was already certain that the change was right. I needed to start thinking about myself a bit more and find a place where I would have more opportunities to play.”
Chelsea had also expressed in interest in acquiring Danilo’s services, but the player said he didn’t pause to think about any other destination: “It was not difficult to decide between Chelsea and City.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?