Athletic's Ziganda: "It's great to be back in Europe for another year"
The Bilbaínos are in the Europa League after emerging from two complicated Play-Off legs: "The pressure was on. It's all or nothing in these ties", the coach said.
Athletic Club coach José Ángel Cuco Ziganda expressed his satisfaction at tonight's 1-0 result against Panathinaikos which means the Basque outfit book their place in the Europa League group stage - the fourth consecutive year they have qualified for European competition.
Muniain goal takes the pressure off
Pressure: "Of course there is always going to be pressure - it's all or nothing in games like these; but we had faith in the team and the players showed that out on the pitch. Losing this tie would have been a massive blow".
Athletic join Villarreal and Real Sociedad in the draw
Thrilled to be in Europe: "I'm very happy because it means Athletic's name will continue to get exposure throughout Europe. We started the game strong and overall we controlled it well; we became more compacty in the second half and that was when we started getting more chances".
Slim result: "It was a shame that we couldn't get a second goal tonight but we were relaxed enough when we were in possession of the ball"
Athletic and Villarreal in Pot 1
The Europa League group stage draw will take place in Monaco at 13:00 hours CEST on Friday. Athletic and Villarreal will be in Pot 1 while Real Sociedad will be in Pot 2. No two teams from the same country can meet at this stage of the competition.
Arsenal, Zenit, Lyon, Dinamo Kiev, Villarreal, Athletic Club, Lazio, AC Milan, Viktoria Plzen, Salzburg, Copenhagen, Sporting de Braga.
Steaua Bucarest, Ludogorets, BATE Borisov, Everton, Young Boys, Olympique de Marseille, Real Sociedad, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Lokomotiv Mosow, Austria Vienna, Hertha Berlin, Nice.
Astana, Partizan, Cologne, Hoffenheim, Rijeka, Vitoria Guimaraes, Atalanta, Zulte-Waregem, Zorya, Rosenborg, Sheriff Tiraspol, Hapoel Beer Sheva.
Apollon Limassol, Basaksehir Istambul, Konyaspor, Vitesse, Slavia Praga, Red Star Belgrade, Skenderbeu, Zlin, AEK Athens, Lugano, Vardar Skopje, Östersunds.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times