Alavés considering Abelardo or Baraja for vacant coach's role
Former Boro boss Aitor Karanka has turned down an approach, as has Javi Gracia, leaving the club to look elsewhere for alternatives.
Alavés are continuing to comb the managerial market after pulling the plug on Luis Zubeldía’s tenure after just four games.
The Argentinean was sacked after Sunday’s 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Villarreal, leaving Alavés rock bottom of LaLiga and having failed to score a single goal so far this season.
Former Middlesbrough and Real Madrid assistant coach Aitor Karanka turned down an offer due to the passing of his father last week and Javi Gracia, who left Rubin Kazan after the 2016-17 season and has Liga experience with Málaga, Osasuna and Almería, has reportedly also decided not to take up the position.
Baraja and Abelardo next in line
Alavés assistant boss Javi Cabello has taken temporary charge of the side, with the board now considering alternative options: former Sporting coach Abelardo and Rubén Baraja, the former Valencia and Spain midfielder whose last job was at Rayo Vallecano, which lasted 13 games.
Alavés caretaker Cabello faces daunting run of games
Alavés have endured a wretched start to the season and have zero points and zero goals from four games. While the club continues its search for a full time replacement Cabello faces a tricky run of games with his side traveling to Deportivo on Wednesday and then hosting Real Madrid in Mendizorrotza on Saturday before an away match at unbeaten Levante.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?