Zola: "Morata is not at the same level as Diego Costa"
Former Chelsea and Italy forward Gianfranco Zola prefers Atlético's new signing to his replacement at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola spoke to Sky Sports about the change of strikers at Stamford Bridge, which has seen Álvaro Morata arrive from Real Madrid with Diego Costa moving to the other club in the Spanish capital, Atlético.
Costa had to leave Chelsea after Conte text
Zola recognises that Diego Costa had to leave Chelsea after the Brazil-born Spain international received a text message from his manager, Antonio Conte, informing him that he was not in his plans.
“I have no doubt that Diego Costa did the right thing in leaving,” Zola explained, “he clearly had problems, the team isn’t formed by one player, and I think it was best that he left.”
Morata's lack of playing time at Madrid and Juventus a concern
Álvaro Morata arrived in west London for a fee of €80 million, yet Zola does not believe Morata is a better player than the man he is tasked with replacing.
“As of today Morata is not at the same level as Diego Costa. Technically he is a great player. Obviously he has many qualities; he’s good in the air and with his feet.
“He has been at Juventus and Real Madrid. They’re big teams, but he didn’t play regularly and I would like to know why. I think we’ll find out the answer this year.”
Despite Zola’s misgivings, Morata is currently the joint top-scorer in the Premier League with six goals, along with Sergio Agüero (who will be out of action for the next two months after a car crash in Amsterdam) and Romelu Lukaku.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Mexico to battle for bronze in Olympic softball
- OLYMPIC GAMES What the USWNT needs to advance to the quarter-finals at Tokyo 2020
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Who is in the USA golf team at the Tokyo Olympics 2021?