Canales puts Real Sociedad in command with 35-yard screamer
Sergio Canales hadn't scored in official competition in almost two years but his sensational, long-range strike against Lleida this evening was a joy to behold.
Sergio Canales' last goal for Real Sociedad was against Las Palmas in December 2015. The midfielder made up for lost time with a breath-taking strike into the top corner from a full 40 yards out in this evening's Copa del Rey Round of 32 first leg against Lleida.
Canales' spectacular winner against Lleida
It was the crowing moment of a tense game. Lleida held on until the 32nd minute when Canales unleashed a thunderball strike which whistled past the outstretched hands of keeper David Oliveros. The hosts looked nervous after going a goal down but after a half-time talk from the coach, went out in search of an equaliser after the break. La Real, with a heavily changed side that included 20-year-old debutant Ander Guevara and Andoni Gorosabel, could have added to the score in the second period with Juanmi going close. Eusebio had said in his pre-match presser that the objective is to go as far as possible in the Copa del Rey and his team will take a one-goal advantage into the return leg at Anoeta on 29 November.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Mexico to battle for bronze in Olympic softball
- OLYMPIC GAMES What the USWNT needs to advance to the quarter-finals at Tokyo 2020
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Who is in the USA golf team at the Tokyo Olympics 2021?