Fernando Alonso: F1 driver to race at Daytona 24 Hours
Spaniard Alonso is to drive for the United Autosports LMP2 team at the 2018 edition of the endurance event in January.
Spanish Formula One star Fernando Alonso on Thursday confirmed that he is to take part in the Daytona 24 Hours race in January.
Alonso to drive for United Autosports LMP2 in Daytona
McLaren-Honda driver Alonso, who took part in the iconic Indianapolis 500 this year, will race with the United Autosports LMP2 team, driving a Ligier JSP217 car.
The two-time F1 world champion, who last week agreed a new contract with McLaren, said: "The Daytona 24 Hours is the most iconic US endurance race and one of the world's great races.
Alonso: "I am excited to go back and race in America"
"It's not part of the Triple Crown (of the Monaco Grand Prix, Indy 500 and Le Mans victories) but, as I have always said, my aim is to be a complete driver - and this experience will help me in the preparation for any other endurance race I might take part in.
"Before I went to Indy, I had never driven on an oval and now I know what an oval is and how to deal with it. I am excited to go back and race in America.
"After the great time I had during the month of May, for the Indy 500, I am looking forward to taking part in another legendary race that will bring back all those amazing sensations that US fans gave me."
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands