"Patrice Evra will not quit football," said the player’s representative, Federico Pastorello, in response to rumours that the former Juventus and Manchester United defender was going to hang up his boots after leaving Marseille following a ban from Uefa competition for the remainder of the season handed down by the governing body for assaulting a fan before the Ligue 1 side’s match against Vitoria Guimaraes.
However, Pastorello denied that Evra, who has also played for Nice and Monaco in Ligue 1, is planning on calling it a day after leaving the Stade Vélodrome by mutual consent last week.
"We're not ruling anything out, even Napoli"
“Obviously he’s not feeling great at the moment but his career will not end here, he doesn’t want to leave the game in this way,” Pastorello said. “He is physically stronger than he was five or six years ago and plenty of people have already been in touch with us. Patrice won’t be going back to Serie A after so many years at Juventus but we’re not ruling anything out, even Napoli, but that would be difficult I think.”
As it stands Evra will not be able to play again this season but the 36-year-old is considering an appeal against the length of the sanction, which France coach and Evra’s boss at Monaco Didier Deschamps described as “heavy” on Sunday.