Chinese FA officials denied on Thursday rumors of a 2030 World Cup bid after national team head coach Marcello Lippi claimed that a plan was in place.
China has previously been linked with a 2030 World Cup bid, however, no official confirmation has been made of a fresh attempt yet.
Ramping up speculation of a bid, Chinese President Xi Jinping met Fifa chief Gianni Infantino in June.
Lippi’s reckless comments
In an interview with the Chengdu Business Daily newspaper, after expressing his disappointment at missing out qualification for the 2018 World Cup, Lippi said there were plans to bring the World Cup to the Asian giant for the first time in 2030.
'I also want to tell you that the Chinese Football Association is to bid for the 2030 World Cup.'
Lippi’s comments were widely spread; however, the CFA was quick to respond.
'We reiterate that the FA did not say which World Cup it will bid for,” said the Chinese Football Association (CFA) in a statement.
'This kind of information is not officially confirmed and is the media's interpretation.'
Who will host the 2030 World Cup?
However, rumours continue that China is intending to make a bid of their own.