Britain's Daniel Hegarty dies in Macau Grand Prix crash
The 31-year-old Briton lost his life after crashing on lap six of the race after hitting the barriers on the outside of the circuit.
British racer Daniel Hegarty has died following an accident during the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix on Saturday.
The 31-year-old Topgun Racing Honda rider crashed on lap six of the race after hitting the barriers on the outside of the circuit.
"Daniel's family have been contacted, and the committee will ensure every assistance is extended to them," race organisers said in a statement.
"The Macau Grand Prix Committee extends its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Daniel."
The Nottingham rider was taking part in his second Macau Grand Prix after finishing 16th last year.
Northern Ireland's Glenn Irwin was announced the winner after the race was stopped on the sixth lap.
Macau has been hosting the street race for cars and motorbikes since 1954. Hegarty was the first rider to die at the event since Portugal's Luis Carreira was killed in qualifying for the 2012 race.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play